In light of Heritage Day and Braai Day, we have the perfect side dish for over the coals – A Gourmet Boerewors Braai Pie! Leave the braaibroodjies for another day because this is your dosh of carbs!
- 2 rolls ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 250ml grated cheddar cheese
- 400g cooked boerewors
- 1 can braai relish or tomato & onion mix
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Place the unrolled puff pastry directly onto a clear braai grid and brush with a little bit of the egg.
- Leave a 2cm order around the edges of the pastry and sprinkle with cheese.
- Add the boerewors (you can either chop it up and coil it on).
- Spoon the braai relish or tomato & onion mixture over the boerewors.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley over that.
- Unroll the second roll of puff pastry over the top of the pie.
- Fold the edges of the bottom layer of the pastry over the top and gently press with a fork to seal the edges.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the rest of the egg.
- Close the grid and braai the pie over medium coals, turning regularly for 15 minutes until the pastry is crispy and cooked through.
- Slice with a shape knife and enjoy!